The T-DMB technology has drawn global attention for the following reasons.
||Existing DAB networks
Born to be mobile:high mobility
Based on broadcasting : effective mass data transmission
|Ease to find available spectrum
"Handy" size of the multiplex
EXISTING DAB NETWORKS
- As T-DMB is based on the European DAB standard (Eureka-147), the conventional DAB
transmission system can be used for T-DMB transmission, by adding a T-DMB multimediamultiplexer to the existing DAB system.
WITHOUT EXISTING DAB NETWORKS
- As T-DMB transmission system can cover up to 70km maximum, compared with DVB-H,
setting up T-DMB service can cut 20~30% down on the total expense.
BORN TO BE MOBILE : high mobility
- Compared to the mobile multimedia technology based on digital terrestrial TV, T-DMB
requires a lower field strength. That is because T-DMB is based on digital radio technologywhich is born to be mobile.
BASED ON BROADCASTING : effective mass data transmission
- Compared to the mobile multimedia technology based on mobile communication networks,
T-DMB is more efficient in transmitting large-scale multimedia data at lower costs. T-DMB has no limitation on the number of simultaneous recipients, as it is based on broadcastingtechnology
- T-DMB can be provided through the existing DAB spectrum. T-DMB uses BandⅢ and also L-Band. In many countries, L-Band is available, while BandⅢ and UHF are in use for analog TV and terrestrial digital TV (DVB-H needs UHF).
"HANDY" SIZE OF THE MULTIPLEX
- As the multiplex for T-DMB is 1.5MHz, it is much easier to find the available spectrum for
T-DMB compared with DVB-H that needs 6MHz ~ 8MHz.
- T-DMB obtained official approval as the European ETSI (European Telecommunication
Standard Institute) standard in July 2005. ITU (International Telecommunication Union) is
also expected to adopt it as a global standard by 2006.
Also, DAB system, the base of T-DMB, has been tested in many countries since 1995 and
proven to be a stable and mature technology.
- T-DMB receivers are already available in the Korean market with affordable prices. L-Band receivers and T-DMB enabled GSM/WCDMA phones have also been developed. The shortbattery life problem has been solved (2~3 hours of T-DMB watching over a mobile phone).T-DMB receivers have a satisfying level of the battery life, because chipsets of T-DMB consume lower power than those of DVB-H. 8 DigitalMultimediaBroadcasting DigitalMultimediaBroadcasting 9